Preamble Tasting July 2003
Harkin Blind 2003
1. Tenuta S. Anna, Pinot Grigio, Friuli DOC, N E Italy, 2002,
Harsh length. Hint of
Riesling. Very unpleasant length on front of tongue.
Solway Wines €8.20
2. Gold Rock, Verdelho, Hunter Valley, NSW, Australia, 2001
thought it was oily Chardonnay. Not the same Verdelho as in
Portugal. Pineapple and passion fruit.
13%. Very pleasant.
3. Sella Mosca, Terre Bianche, Alghero,
Torbato, Sardinia, 2001
Dry but fruity, hint of
caramel. Apricot nose. Possibly too floral. 12%. Unusual
but pricey at
4. Nadaria, Nera d'Avola (100%),
Big nose; prunes.
Somewhat tannic, hint of port (Nacional?) A bit harsh on the finish
but a good value wine. 13.5%
5. Barefoot Reserve, Pinot Noir, Sonoma Valley,
Calif, USA, 2001
Very light pink with a
pale rim. A teeny bit sugary; notes of cedar and raspberry. This
would be a good food wine 13.5%
6. Cannonau di Sardegna, Le Bombarde,
Sardinia, Italy, 2001
Mid red; ketones and
cherries on the nose. Some nice soft tannins, herbs, soft fruit.
Interesting, unusual, worth a try. 13%
7. Goats do Roam, W. Cape, South Africa, 2002
Mid- to deep-red; looks
young. Soft nose, quite sweet but with a hint of stern backbone;
pepper; nice grip. A very interesting wine at a good price. 33%
Pinotage, 66% Rhone mix.14% alc
8. Naoussa Boutari, Xynomavro, Naoussa, N.
red, big medicinal nose. Good grip, fruity, bitter finish, quite
9. Tenute Rubino - Jaddico Brindisi Rosso,
farmy, tannic, quite tough, bitter finish; blockbuster! Very unusual, big,
robust. Negroamaro mainly. 13.5%
Divinis, Bologna, €15.00 (in Italy)
10. Ch Etienne des Lauzes,
Saint-Chinian, Languedoc, France, 1998
Quite a bit of greenwood.
Very herby. I like i. A few years to go; very distinctive.
Another blockbuster. Syrah, some Grenache,12.5%
11. Warwick Three Cape Ladies, 1998, Stellenbosch, SA
Hint of cedar; a good
wine by the nose. Very smooth, slightly medicianal. Cassis,
mint, pepper. Nice stern backbone. 33% Cab Sauv, 33%
Merlot, 33% Pinotage. 13%.
12. D'Arenberg Galvo Garage, McLaren Vale, Australia, 2001
Very dark. Soft
fruit, liquorice, huge extract, good grip, soft and sweet, smooth,
spirituous, condensed milk, lovely nut way too young - buy for cellaring.
60% Cab Sauv, 20% Merlot, 14% Cab Franc. 14.5%.
Home Tasting Resource
Tasting Notes Quotes Links Archive