A Personal Selection
Corbett, Searsons Wine Merchants
1. La Clape, Terre Ó Verre, Languedoc, 2011
Lovely nutty and fragrant nose. In the mouth, nutty, oily and decent acidity from the Bourboulenc. Nice; went very well with brown bread. Grapes are Bourbolenc (min 40%); Grenache Blanc and Roussannec
2. Marsanne, Vin de Pays des Collines Rhodianennes, Cave de Tain, 2010
Really fresh, fizzy nose.
Some oiliness, good acid, mushroom, herbs: the garrigue. Peach and
peach stone. Quite a lot going on but not as moreish as the first.
3. Chateauneuf-du-Pape white, Jerome Quiot, 2007
Very light in colour. Fresh, minerally nose. Wonderfully fruity, good bite and freshness, stone fruit.
Rich and complex; will go on improving for some time. Great food
wine. 13.5% alc. Grapes Grenache Blanc, Clairette, Bourboulenc,
4. Chateauneuf-du-Pape white, Domaine de Marcoux, 2006
5. "Coutures", Frederic Mabileau, St. Nicolas de Bourgueil, Loire, 2009
deeper than the Quiot. Huge nose; Calvados, slightly oxidised, smooth.
Intense, concentrated but prefer the Quiot. (There was some bottle
variation; the other bottle was much more oxidised.) 14.5% alc.
A nice red colour: unfiltered. Feels a teeny bit green and a
hint of that mašeration carbonique effect of which I am not fond. Good fruit; lots going on but not my cup of tea. 13.5%
6. 'La Porfia' Cabernet Franc Gran Reserva, Botalcura, 2006
Lots more sun than the previous! A dryer, richer, longer wine. Raspberry, intense. I vastly prefer. 14%
7. Joven, Martin Berdugo, Ribera del Duero,
Light, clear red. Not a huge nose but what a basket of fruit. Fresh, lovely. 40-50 year old vines, no oak, 14.5%
8. Rioja Reserva, Luis Canas, 2005
deep red. Gorgeous fres fruit gums some powdery tannins; sweetness;
vanilla. Well-integrated, balanced. Gorgeous. 5% Garnacha. 14.5%
9. Alenza Gran Reserva, Alejandro Fernandez, Ribero del Duero, 2001
red; huge clean, complex nose of green fruit pastilles and vanilla with
maybe condensed milk and caramel. Greta extract; vanilla again.Still
fresh, some silky tannins, drinking perfectly. A very lovely experience
but don't keep it too long. 14%. I suppose you have to pay for quality,
10. Surani Chardonnay, Manduria, Puglia,
Served blind. Beautifully honeyed, mineral. At first I thought Chablis. Very nice.
Tasting Notes Quotes Links Archive