A Taste of the Languedoc
Harry Woolfson, Les Bluffeurs Wine Club
1. Domaine de la Grangette, Michel Moret, Picpoul de Pinet AOP, 2011
Quite viscous; good, quite tropical fruit; decent acid; mouth filling. Finish of caramel. Lovely; clean. An ex-IBM exec! (13%)
2. Chateau Pech Celeyran, Nicolas de St. Exupery, La Clape IGP,Viognier, 2011
floral. Good fizz, great fruit - a touch of Gewurtz on the palate.
Harvested at night, refrigerated equipment. Very nice. (12.5%)
3. Domaine de l'Arjolle, Teisserenc Brothers, Equilibre, Caux IGP, 2011
Nettles and cat's pee. "Unsubtle"; in your face. Eases off in the glass and gets a lot better. Decent fruit and great fizz. The Sauignon Blanc totally overpowers the Viognier. (12%)
4. Domaine de l'Arjolle, Teisserenc Brothers, Meridienne Oaked Rosé, Caux IGP, 2011
5. Mas des Diciples, Bruno Oble and N. de St-Exupery, Premier Pierre, Terrasses du Larzac AOP, 2011
nose; quite Pinot Noir. Oaked; will develop an orange marmalade taste
as it gets more integrated and great with spicy prawns. Oily. Very,
very nice. 13% alc.
Spicy, atern, a tad medicinal. Way too young and not my cup of tea. Syrah, Grenache, Mourvedre.
6. Chateau Pech Celeyran, Nicolas de St. Exupery, Cuvée Celeste, La Clape IGP, 2011
lower altitude and very hot. Good tannins, alcohol burn but not too
badly, fruity, lovely. Thought it might be worth leaving a few years
but, sadly, the tannins became more dominant on the glass so.... Syrah,
Grenache, Mourvedre again. 14% alc.
7. Domaine de l'Arjolle, Teisserenc Brothers, Paradoxe, Caux IGP, 2011
a lot of tannins but loads of fruit;somewhat burnt. Fourteen months in
new barrels. Quite lively; fruitcake, ripeness - maybe a bit of a hole
mid-palate; needs some years. Syrah 40%; Merlot 25%; Cab franc
25%; Grenache 10%. 14% alc.
8. Chateau de Raissac, Gustave Viennet, Terra Incognita, Liberon/Beziers IGP 2010
Alcohol predominates, giving too much sweetness.Good fruit, good
tannins, fresh, well-made. Vineyard developed from a stretc of
garrigue; mostly Syrah. Quite nice but, again, needs time. 15%
9. Chateau de Raissac, Gustave Viennet, Cuvee Gustave Fayet,, Liberon/Beziers VdP 2007
huge extract. Overpowering fruitcake but somewhat synthetic. Good
mouthfeel, smooth tannins, freat extract; leggy. Bitter almonds. Big
brute; nice but lacks finesse. Will improve. Only barely got a half
10. Domaine Terre Georges, Anne-Marie and Roland Coustal, Quintessence, Minervois AOC, 2009
Burnt Rhône. Great clean frui and some alcohol sweetness. Lovely, fresh, fruity, clean, a little smooth tannin. Yum!14.5%
Tasting Notes Quotes Links Archive