Febvre & Co.
me) I missed this one. Mark Downes kindly supplied the notes. I have attempted
to extrapolate star ratings...
1. Savennieres Clos de Varennes, Chateau de Fesles, 1997
Fine appearance, nose of tropical fruits. Lovely orange/citrus overtones
on the palate. Excellent quality.
2.Meerlust Chardonnay, Meerlust Estate, Hannes Myburg, South Africa,
Fine appearance, pears on the nose. Spicy with a very notable aftertaste.
Well-oaked with new wood. A pretty good Chardonnay; can age a few years.
3. Principe de Viana Tempranillo, Bodegas Principe de Viana, Spain,
A light red colour. Pleasant raspbery/strawberry nose. Nice berry flavour
of Tempranillo. Quite a pleasant crianza, fair value.
4. Dolcetto d'Alba Coste & Fossati, Azienda Agricola G.D. Vajra,
Medium red colour, and violets on the nose. Blackberry with an Amaro kick.
Would be good with food. Long aftertaste, nice and spicy. A bit expensive.
5. La Motte M illenium, Hanneli Rupert, Franschhoek Valley, South
Lovely deep red colour. Farmyard with violet overtones on the nose. Mature,
ripe Bordeaux style; lovely aftertaste. First class wine, good value.
Wine of the night.
6. Meerlust Rubicon, Hannes Myburg, Stellenbosch, South Africa, 1994
Ruby red colour. Beautiful, balanced nose. Lovely fresh taste and long,
long aftertaste. Equivalent of a good Margaux. Lovely wine. Will develop
over 7-8 years. Pricey.
7. Chateau Arnauld, Cru Bourgeois, Haut-Medoc, 1995
Mid-red border. Soft Cabernet nose. Great structure, developing in the
glass. Long aftertaste. A classic claret. Will develop over 10-15 years.
8. De Bortoli Yarra Valley Shiraz, De Bortoli Wines, NSW, 1995
Deep red-purple colour. Spicy, peppery nose. Chocolate, pepper, spice
on the palate; great flavour and long aftertaste. Keep 10 years. Excellent
9. Cote Rotie Seigneur de Maugiron, Delas Freres, St-Jean-de-Muzols,
Light bright red. Underdeveloped node. Dry, peppery, spicy in mouth. Very
long aftertaste. Will develop over 15-20 years. Seems expensive.
10. Coteau du Layon Quart de Chaumes, Chateau de la Roulerie, 1994
Deep golden colour. Citrus and pear nose. Apples, pears, peaches, with
lovely lemon curd aftertaste. Beautiful wine, will last for years. Good